1/4/18

Beau-Hunting with Drones (fiction)

I put on my cammies and cinched the Velcro fasteners on my thermal equilibrium vibrant soled all season hunting boots. I looked forward to the day’s hunt with eager anticipation of the thrill of victory when sighting a prime animal with vast left right and center balanced rack. The supply situation was grim though. In spite of making a trek to a grocery early last night, visitors had depleted the stock. Nothing was left for me this morning besides a little orange juice and a quarter-liter of Sky vodka.
This Christmas my beau got me what I really wanted; a new .30-06 cal barrel for my drone Tom. Tom is an A-Hawk flier with the standard three extensible leg tripod , range finder, gps. Night vision and 100x scope. He has a good A.I. wit and sense of humor that has brought me through some fairly difficult moments encountering the beast on the hunt.

Tom has brought me to appreciate the joy-sticks of couch huntin controlling the flight path stalking to take down deer in a distant forest, a moose in the hills or even a lone wolf skulking about trying to hide somewhere in the fringe lands of the U.S.A.
This morning I was ready to hunt on the Wyoming open country in quest of taking down a raging, wild antelope that can run nearly as fast as a fossil fuel injected SUV if the driver’s stoned on too much California gold, I ran low on Dorritos and had to think quickly to substitute cheese puffs wand had to put Tom on automatic to fly over the parched grassy hills looking for those white tailed threat targets solo; just machina a animal. I knew Tom could handle that.

I quietly flopped down onto a specially designed hunting sofa in my living room where I had a good view on a big screen of Tom’s live eye-stalk vision of the field more or less a thousand miles away. Tom found a clump of quarry browsing rare, endangered prairie grass half-mile from a highway and with the silent electric fuel cell powered flight engines was able to close in to a hill just a few feet higher in elevation at a distance of fewer than 400 yards.

Hovering briefly holding three feet over the ground I ordered Tom to extend and level his three legs anchor them firmly in the ground with talon hooks. I have a subroutine for accurate target sight acquisition that calculates trajectory from all the data such as wind speed and distance, elevation to target and so forth needed to make a good kill shot, and it relieves me of all that brain work that makes couch-huntin less than a visceral, primitive, manly pursuit. Thus with one of the animal threat vectors in the cross-hairs and the .30 caliber barrel and Teflon coated intelligent bullets putting the picture of hurt in the present I toggled the joystick to firing position sending the RSVP for dinner the next week to the global warmin production unit downrange. It fell over.

I was glad that the hunt had reached its climax. After that stressful and challenging morning in the field I could only think of having a beer and chips. The work never ends though so I had Tom’s friend the rental hover drone company fly over to extract the antelope carcass and remove it to a local butcher for packaging and shipment to my freezer. With the long hunting day over I recalled Tom to rail-hanger so he could return to the city by the Bay cleaned, polished, lubed and ready for his next field adventure.


Mr. Trump and the Retainer Paid to a Journalist

 So far as I have learned Donald Trump is on trial for 34 counts of paying a journalist not to publish bad news about him. Trump's attor...